iDATA: intelligent Data Analysis & Tracking Application
In the growing storage industry, many companies are migrating from physical environments to more efficient virtualized environments. There are a number of tedious processes involved in providing a smooth and successful migration, with planning being the preliminary stage in the process. During planning, it is mandatory to understand the current storage environment in terms of capacity, IO, network performance, and CPU performance. The next step is to consolidate server, desktop storage and performance into a single storage server. In order to discover the performance of the current environment, collection of various performance parameters about each server is required, which can be difficult.
To understand the storage environment and address complexities, AMI has developed a tool called StorTrends iDATA (Intelligent Data Analysis Tracking Application). This tool helps analyze and understand the customer’s current environment and provides the best configured StorTrends solution.
iDATA is a Windows based tool that collects the performance data of configured servers from the centralized server. The collection of information runs in defined intervals over a period of time for each server to monitor the performance. Finally, iDATA generates the raw file which contains the performance information of each server, and then consolidates that data.
StorTrends iDATA Work Flow
The following procedure describes how overall performance collection, consolidation, and performance information is generated.
- StorTrends iDATA will collect information/performance counters from the local machine as well as remote systems. Remote systems can be a Windows Server OS or an ESX/vCenter server.
- StorTrends iDATA will use different protocols to collect performance metrics information across different operating systems.
Performance monitoring period (1-7) days can be changed according to the users preference. The collected information will be stored in AMI proprietary file format, which will be in human unreadable format.
- Once the data collection is completed, the file is emailed to the StorTrends iDATA team for analysis. The tool will analyze the performance metrics and provide results, including bottleneck analysis.
- The generated report will be shared with the customer by explaining the current environment, bottlenecks found, and the recommendation suitable for the environment.
An Agentless Approach
StorTrends iDATA uses an agentless approach to collect information from the servers. “Agentless” refers to the fact that there is no additional software being installed into a remote machine. This approach allows remote monitoring of the server/desktop from a centralized server without any performance impact on the production server.
How iDATA works
StorTrends iDATA collects performance data of configured servers from the centralized monitoring system in a predefined interval, as collection intervals are based on each server type. These collected groups of information will be sampled in regular intervals (i.e. the average of the group). This value is committed to the repository.
Information iDATA collects
StorTrends iDATA collects various performance data in each of the following categories:
- CPU Memory
- Page Fault
Features of StorTrends iDATA
StorTrends iDATA collects information from each server to provide the following performance parameters about the customer’s environment:
- IOPS (read, write)
- Throughput (read, write)
- IO Size (read, write)
- Latency (Read, write)
- Queue Depth
- Network usage (Tx, Rx)
- CPU performance
- Peak performance in each category
- Capacity growth
Value Added Features of StorTrends iDATA
StorTrends iDATA provides additional features for ease of use:
- Network discovery
- Automatic E-Mailing of iDATA consolidated file to AMI support or Sales team
- Master password, which will be used for all the servers that need to be monitored
- Exclusion of OS drive from monitoring
- Load the server for monitoring from Quick Configuration CSV file
- Reporting problem [in case of error occurred]
Manual effort reduced drastically
StorTrends iDATA provides additional information, such as bottlenecks and peak hour information
StorTrends iDATA provides an effective, agentless, and centralized mechanism to collect performance data of an IT environment, without any impact on production systems. The tool diminishes the complexity in monitoring and consolidating performance during the migration of physical environments to virtualized environments. This tool can also be used to monitor the performance of servers for any bottlenecks.